As part of preparing for Open Farm Day, on September 19, we’ve been sending out some “Cheat Sheet” information to help farms prepare for the day. Since you are all part of the agritourism industry in the province we’ve decided to share these with everyone through the agritouism blog.
The phrase, “You never get a second chance to make a first impression” still holds true to this day.
We always teach our youth to not make judgments about anything until they know everything. Human nature comes into play –we often make our judgments in the first few seconds of seeing the operation. Let’s make that First Impression a positive one.
Customers’ first impressions of your agritourism sites affect the overall quality of their experiences. Familiarity with the farm may lead you to overlook areas that detract from the publics initial expectations. To discover if there are any areas for improvement, take the time to walk around the property, viewing it as if you were visiting for the first time. Ask yourself these questions:
- Where are you looking?
- What do you see?
- What would you expect to see?
- Are there any obvious safety hazards?
- Are the grounds clean and inviting?
- Are the buildings in good repair?
There are some things we can do to prepare for a positive first impression:
- Grass is trimmed
- Flowerbeds are kept up
- Piles of ‘stuff’ have been cleared and cannot be seen to the public
- Signs are kept up and easy to read
- A clutter-free environment
Although Open Farm Day is about you and your unique farm operation, take time to listen to your visitors, gain insights from their visit, what they want and need to have a good experience, all of these can help you create a good impression on visitors.
For you and your family:
- Be on time – If you are open for business at 10:00am, be there and ready to go at 10:00
- That winning smile means so much and can do so much for repeat visits/business.
- Be attentive – showing interest in what visitors ask and say is important to visitors
- Clean and tidy appearance is appreciated by everyone
- Be confident – you are your best marketer