At the recent Manitoba Tourism Conference Peter Yesawich Â (www.ypartnership.com) commented on the National Travel Monitor Study.Â Here are some of the interesting results.
- The three influences on Manitoba travel are technology, social values and demography.Â Every 9 seconds someone in North America turns 55 years old.Â
- In 1996 11% of households had access to the internet.Â Today 70% of households have internet.Â The result is that there has been a dramatic increase in the number of travelers who use the internet to plan a vacation.Â Â
- There is an increase in the desire for personalization.Â Travelers want to be able to go to a website and choose their room and amenities; room type, bedding, newspaper for the morning, wake up call, type of coffee etc. This has a big impact on guest delivery and satisfaction.
- There is a renewed interest in family vacations including multigenerational travel.Â 38% of travelers are grandparents and 27% travel with grandchildren.
- Celebration Vacations are on the rise.Â 70% of vacationers travel to celebrate a special occasion.Â The trip is planned further in advance, people tend to stay longer, pay more and have more people in their party.
- 41% of travelers would choose green alternatives while travelling.Â However, 53% wonâ€™t pay more for green.Â They feel you are to be the environmental steward.Â Going green is good for business but donâ€™t charge more for it.
For further information on the National Travel Monitor Study go to www.ypartnership.com